Marriage Licenses & Civil Unions

Marriage Licenses

You must apply for your marriage license at the Town Clerk's Office of the town where the marriage is to take place.

You will need to complete the marriage license application Marriage License Worksheet provide valid photo identification and make a sworn statement that the information that you provide is true. Marriage licenses must be used within 65 days. Both spouses must apply in person (not necessarily at the same time) at the Town Clerk's Office (800 Bloomfield Avenue). The fee for a marriage license is $50 payable by cash, check, or money order. Blood tests and waiting periods are no longer required by the State of Connecticut which allows a couple to apply as late as the day of the wedding.

Certified Copy

Once the marriage ceremony has taken place and the marriage license is returned to our office by the officiator a certified copy can be obtained by completing a Request for Copy of Marriage Certificate. Only the bride and groom may obtain a certified copy with social security numbers; all other requests will have the social security numbers obscured. There is a fee of $20 per certified copy. Valid photo identification will be required.

Civil Unions

As of October 1, 2010, all Civil Unions will be acknowledged the same as Marriages.

The Town Clerk's Office can no longer issue certified copies of civil union certificates as such. Couples can request a certified copy of their Civil Union Certificate with a conversion statement (stating this certificate is recognized the same as a marriage license) or can complete the Request to Convert Civil Union/Marriage Certificate and receive a certified copy in the actual form of a marriage license. The fee for a certified copy is $20