A Look Inside Town Government
If you’ve ever wondered how the Town of Bloomfield operates, then the Citizens' Academy is for you! Through field trips, tours and hands-on activities, offers residents a chance to see how our departments provide first-class services to the community.
The Town Manager’s office and Senior Services collaborate to present the Bloomfield Citizens’ Academy. The 6-week interactive course is held mostly on Wednesday nights in the spring with one optional Saturday session.
Participants learn about the Town and Council governance; and focus on the way employees set the standard for public service and make Bloomfield an even better place to call home.
In addition, participants will have the opportunity to meet and chat informally with town council members, and will go behind the scenes to learn about the day-to-day operations of the town departments.
Among the activities:
- Understand how the Town is governed under the Council-Manager form of government.
- Learn about the budget and better understand how the Town manages funds.
- Participate in a Touch-A-Truck demonstration of the Public Works equipment used to bring you safe, effective transportation and faster travel.
- How do we generate revenues for the Town?
- Hear about opportunities to excel after graduation and how to get involved in your community.
Upon completion, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Town Manager and a class picture to commemorate the event.
- Bloomfield Public Libraries
- Building & Land Use
- Human Resources
- Parks, Recreation & Leisure Services
- Public Works
- Registrar of Voters
- Senior Services
- Social & Youth Services
- Strategic Communications & Government Affairs
- Tax Collector
- Town Clerk
- Town Manager's Office
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
- Classes meet for six consecutive weeks from 5:30 p.m./6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., mostly on Wednesdays with one optional Saturday morning class.
- Registration is free and includes snacks, graduation ceremony, class photo, and diploma.
- Class enrollment for the Citizens' Academy will be limited to 30 applicants.
- Each session involves considerable amounts of walking, stair climbing, standing, and sitting.
- Please indicate any requested accommodations on application form.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the various sessions located throughout Pinellas County.
- Upon acceptance, a packet will be emailed to all participants with instructions, meeting places, list of classes, and other session information.
Be on the lookout, plans are in the works to launch a new and improved Citizens' Academy very soon!!!
For additional information on Citizens' Academy, email India Rodgers, Director of Strategic Communications & Government Affairs.