Notary Public / Trade Name Certificates

Notary Public Services

Notary services are available at the Town Clerk's Office at Town Hall. In order for documents requiring a notarial act to be properly executed, the signer must physically appear before the notary, prove their identity to the notary via two forms of identification, and swear / affirm that the contents of the document are true. The document must be signed in the presence of the notary. The Town Clerk's Office does not notarize wills or living wills.

Starting July 1, 2015, we will be charging $5 per signature per notarial act, per Section 3-95 of the Connecticut General Statutes.

Notary Public Certificates

Notary Public commissions are issued by the Secretary of State's office. Applications are available in the Town Clerk's Office at Town Hall or on the CT Secretary of the State website. Before performing any notarial acts, all notary publics, whether new or renewal appointments, must take an oath of office and file their Notary Certificate with the Town Clerk in the town in which they reside. The Town Clerk is authorized to administer the oath of office. Visit the CT Secretary of the State website for more information.

The fee for filing an original Notary Certificate is $20.

Additional Fees

  • Renewal commission: $20
  • Change of address to new town (no name change): $10
  • Change of name only: $15
  • Change of address within Town (no name change): No Fee
  • Change of name and address: $15
  • Authenticating the signature of a notary $5

Trade Name Certificates

Anyone doing business in the Town of Bloomfield in a name other than their own must file a Trade Name Certificate with the Town Clerk. A trade name certificate does not protect your business name. You may use the prescribed form to complete and mail to the Town Clerk, 800 Bloomfield Avenue, Bloomfield, CT 06002. The filing fee for a Trade Name is $10 with an additional $2 fee for a certified copy.

For more information regarding starting a new business, trademarks, corporations, or LLCs, please contact the CT Secretary of the State. Also please contact our Planning and Zoning Department prior to filing your trade name.